Second bridge to open in February

December 13, 2013 3:23 AM

28 0

A construction officer explains the structure of the Second Penang Bridge to Fadillah (in blue) and MP Datuk Dr Hilmi Yahya (right). GEORGE TOWN, Dec 13 — The Second Penang Bridge, which is the longest in Southest Asia, will be officially opened after Chinese New Year.

Works Minister Datuk Fadillah Yusuf said the reason for the delay was the testing and commissioning of the toll system.

“It should be completed by late January and officially opened in February,” he said.

Fadillah, who visited the site yesterday, said the 24km-long bridge costing about RM4.5 billion was 99.9 per cent complete.

“We are carrying out the finishing touches on the two toll plazas,” he said.

The toll plazas — in Batu Kawan and Bandar Cassia on the mainland — are the largest in the country with 28 booths.

Fadillah had earlier visited the site where one of the ramps connected to the Second Penang Bridge collapsed and crushed the car of a former policeman at the Batu Maung interchange on June 6.

Tajudin Zainal Abidin, 45, died on the spot. A stop-work order was issued after the incident.

Asked if the toll charges had been finalised, Fadillah said no decision had been made.

“This has to be decided by the federal government. Let’s wait for the announcement,” he said.

The new bridge is expected to ease traffic congestion on the first bridge by 20 to 30 per cent.

Source: themalaymailonline.com

To category page

Loading...