Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

At least 24 reportedly killed in Kenya post-election violence

August 12, 2017 2:28 PM
12 0

NAIROBI — One day after President Uhuru Kenyatta was reelected in a fiercely contested and divisive vote, violence erupted across parts of Kenya.

At least 24 people, including a 6-year-old child, have been killed in clashes with police since the election results were announced Friday night, according to the Kenyan National Commission on Human Rights.

In Kibera, Nairobi’s largest slum, residents said that at least six people were killed late Friday and early Saturday in clashes with police. Young men in the slum had promised for days to hold demonstrations if Kenyatta defeated their candidate, Raila Odinga, who has not yet accepted the results and conceded, raising concerns of further violence.

Although Kenya is considered a pillar of stability in East Africa, it is riven by tribal tensions that rise to the surface during national elections. In 2007, more than 1,000 people were killed in ethnic violence in the wake of that year’s election.

This year, the response to Kenyatta’s victory appears more tempered, with security forces more prepared than they were a decade ago. But residents in Nairobi and parts of western Kenya raised allegations of police shooting wildly at protesters.

Kenya’s acting security minister, Fred Matiangi, disputed accusations that police had shot protesters, telling reporters Saturday that officers “did not use live bullets” and adding that “the country was safe and secure.”

In Mathare, another Nairobi slum, a 6-year old girl was killed by a stray bullet while on the balcony of her house, according to residents.

“The police were shooting in the air to disperse the crowds," said Boniface Okoth, a resident of Mathare. “The child came to the balcony to check what was going on. She was shot and died on the spot."

Separately, Reuters reported that nine men in Mathare were killed overnight. A security official told Reuters that they were killed in an anti-looting operation.

There were also protests in the western city of Kisumu, where police used tear gas to disperse the crowds. Reuters reported that one man was killed there.

According to the official results, Kenyatta received 54.2 percent of the votes to Odinga’s 44.7 percent. Odinga has alleged that those results were manipulated, claiming the country’s electoral commission was part of the coverup. But international election observers said they considered the vote to be credible.

In Kibera, Celine Adhiambo a resident of Kibera, said police were marching “deep inside the slum” on Friday night and Saturday morning.

“We do not know where they took the bodies,” she said. “We are in great danger.”

There were also protests in western Nyanza province. The regional coordinator there said young men there attempted to attack police with rocks, but that, “police dealt with the situation and cleared the roads.”

Kenyatta has pledged to address the country’s divide in his second term, saying in his acceptance speech Friday that, “We are not enemies. We are all citizens of one republic.”

Also read: Police record statements from Najib's domestic helpers


Share in social networks:

Comments - 0